NewsMax.comAt a press conference in Austin Saturday afternoon, the George Bush
Recount team indicated massive vote fraud was taking place in the Florida manual
Saturday, Nov. 18, 2000 2:54 p.m. EST
In her harshest rhetoric yet, Bush spokeswoman Karen Hughes said that the
vote recount under way in three highly Democratic counties is "distorting" the
She said there is "compelling evidence" that officials in the three counties
are attempting to overturn the election results.
Montana Gov. Mark Racicot, who heads up Bush's monitoring of the Florida
recount, said something was "terribly, terribly wrong" in the vote recount.
He noted that all election canvassing boards are controlled by Democratic
Racicot outlined what has been taking place in Palm Beach:
1. Chads have been taped to the backs of cards to hide votes for Gov. Bush.
2. Theresa LePore, the Democratic elections supervisor, is ignoring evidence
3. Ballots with votes for Bush were put in stacks of Gore votes. LePore has
refused to correct the errors.
4. A Democratic observer admitted that the piles had been "sabotaged"
5. Counters are using ballots as fans and have been asked by Judge Burton to
stop the practice.
6. Post-it notes are being used on the cards to distort the votes.
7. Exhausted and elderly counters have been used to do the recount.
8. The recount room is poorly lit and some counters have resorted to using
9. Twenty to 60 ballots were dropped on the floor and staff were seen walking
10. Things are in such chaos that two precincts had to be manually recounted
In Broward county, Racicot that
1. Observers are also serving as counters.
2. Different counting table have different standards.
3. Confusion reigns in the recount, with ballots being moved from table to
table without direction.
4. Chad has been found on floors and tables.
5. Rules have been changed.
Racicot also angrily charged that many military ballots have been
disqualified in an effort to help Gore.
He also cited a Miami Herald report that said convicted felons and prisoners
had illegally voted – including murderers and rapists.