Re: For Joe H.

In a message dated 11/25/00 3:01:11 AM Central Standard Time,
halinar@open.org writes:

<< For example, the federal
 government telling state governments what speed limits they have to
 set, what blood alcohol level to set for DUI's,  >>

Joe,
   You ought to do some reading on the history of the Federal Highway
Administration. It started in 1893 but was mainly done out of general fund
money. In 1956, President Eisenhower signed the Federal-Aid Highway Act and
the Highway Revenue Act and it was later named for him. In 1999, the TEA-21
that includes what you mentioned above passed Congress with overwhelming
bipartisan support. The House vote was 337-80. The Bill addresses many issues
but one minute part addresses safety. The DUI levels aren't mandatory BUT a
state will be penalized 5% the first year in revenue and 10% yearly after
that for not complying. While I didn't read the whole thing, I can see why
the Bill had such great bipartisan support. The old adage you got to give a
little to get a little seems to have worked for everyone. As far as Social
Security goes, I can plead ignorance because I am a civil servant and I don't
pay Social Security and I will never be entitled to Spousal Social Security
like people get when they do not work outside the home. Being raised in a
good conservative home :-) :-), my husband and I have done rather well
planning for our retirements using every means available. Pension plans,
IRA's, 401k's etc.

Solidarity, Katherine A. Klass
                4439 Valhalla Road
                New Franken, WI. 54229