Re: Frankly my dear....And New Discussion Forum

Hello Lu,

RE:>>Now you guys know I'm not into censorship, or control, but honestly this has
gotten a bit ridiculous, and really has gone on long enough.
I'll be adding a Politics section to my New Discussion Forum just as soon as I finish this message. Everyone that wants to talk politics, come on over.  Oh, and there ARE sections there about about Hostas, too--Hehehe...

I have enjoyed learning more about the Hosta people on this list (several whom I now consider better friends.  I previously may have met them in the past, I knew that they loved Hostas, but now I even know how they will vote! I don't know half of my friends that well.  I thought parts of the types of discussions that were going on was "friendship building" in action.  Obviously, not everyone sees it that way, so you are right Lu to do a little chastising...

Personally, I wouldn't join a "politics only" egroup--I'd be afraid of being kicked off because I started talking about Hostas!  Tee Hee Hee!!!  I did, however, find it hard to resist discussing the current Presidential election fiasco.

The Discussion Forum at http://hostahaven.com/discus will be mostly open to the public, except for a couple of prototypes for Growers Associations.  It is the same Discus Software that I referred Bob Axemear to last year (he ran it at the HostaLibrary.org for a while).  I believe it is more conducive toward  keeping people on topic, yet will allow open discussions on anything that the moderator wants to allow.  I have found that list servers actually CAUSE these off-topic conversations because they ARE open and interactive.  People hear the news, want to comment, and boom--you've got a mess.  Usually, however, it eventually dies down on its own.  I guess I never thought of how they could be offensive since I delete lots of other junk mail on a daily basis anyhow.

IMO, if people don't like the way the discussion is going, they should try to fill the void, but I do thank you for diplomatically pointing us back to the original objective, Lu.  Come on over, Beth, Narda, Ran, Chic, Jim, Paul, and anyone else that wants to squabble...:-)  You can go right straight to the discussion forum, if you like, through the above link, skipping the marketing hype on Hostas...

Respectfully submitted,

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com
1250 41st Street                     515-274-0300 voice
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516