Holidays! and Seeding the future

Well One holiday down... Family has all gone home.  Tomorrow is Carl's birthday and he asked me for my gardening tools... There's hope for my son yet ;)
two questions for the night.
1st)  Now that we've had one snow, most of the hosta has died back.  Since I have a ton in pots (of which are covered in oak leaves) I know I have to worry about freezing.  What are the thoughts about what causes potted plants to die?  Also should I bring my special babies into the tunnel for the winter?
2nd)  Ok let's talk seeds.... How much water is too much?  When starting seeds and stuff.  I know last years attempts I ended up where I'd overwatered some and did them in.  Others I didn't water enough....  How do most people gauge when and how much?  Also keeping covers on the seedlings... About when should you take off the covers?
ps....I've always loved this group because we are made up of who we're made up off.  I'd miss anyone who'd left