Re: Catalpa Tree

  • Subject: Re: Catalpa Tree
  • From: "Dan Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:37:53 -0500

Copied from the book 'Delaware Trees' by William Taber c.1939
Catalpa bignoniodes
A small tree native to the gulf states which because of its conspicuous upright pyramidal panicles of white or purple marked flowers in June has been much planted as an ornamental beyond its range in this country and in Europe. The leaves are six to twelve inches long, heart shaped with entire margins, veins beneath, arranged oppositely or in whorls of 3 about the twig. The fruit is a clylindrical capsule, 10" to 20" long, 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter containing many flattened seeds fringed at both ends.
Catalpa speciosa
A medium to large sized tree of better form than C. bignonioides and much planted in some regions for the production of fence post and rail road ties. Its flower cluster are shorter than those of its southern relative but are, however much larger. Demands full sunlight and deep fertile soil for satisfactory development. The catalpas are often attacked and completely defoliated in summer by attacks of the spinx month larvae.
Catalpa limbs are fairly brittle so be careful if you are climbing. Large horizontal limbs make for fun limb walking. Catalpa heart wood is very dark brown and easily mills.  A good looking tree that is very fast growing and reseeds freely in Delaware. I imagine Catalpa trees present a lot of root competition for hostas.
Dan Nelson
Sussex Tree Inc.