Apples Trees

  • Subject: Apples Trees
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 13:22:57 -0500 (EST)

This e-mail covers stupid questions #31 and #32.

First, is there anyway (an easy quick way- like a warning sign)  to prevent
the pollination of a number of my apple trees? I have one tree which I
spray and it meets my apple needs. The other three trees litter the ground
and hosta beds with apples which are a mess to take care of in the late
fall and early winter. They are also a deer lure which I could do without.
I like the trees and their spring bloom, just not the fruit of their
collective pollinations. So, beyond cutting the trees down and holding the
neighborhood bees captive, if there a way to cut down on this late fall

Stupid question #32: What am I doing to the soil by leaving some of the
apples in the flower beds over the winter...which is not to say that I can
remove what is left in the spring. I have always thrown  the drops on the
compost  without concern, but I now wonder if the chemistry of the soil is
being changed in the hosta beds.  Please do not suggest making cider...fall
is filled with enough work.

"If only words would keep their meaning and live up to their promise...or
is it me?"
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont