Re: prepping for winter

  • Subject: Re: prepping for winter
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:30:01 EST

In a message dated 11/7/02 2:27:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, EntICE11@aol.com
writes:

<<
 Frosts hit us early and hard. My hostas never got the chance to turn colors.
 They are green and on the ground.
 I started the first bed and was dismayed to find some crowns soft.
 Leaves are coming off easily.
 I got another bed done today...and one or two there were moist.
 Seems my older hostas seem to have more troubles getting rid of all the
 moisture in the leaves...The smaller ones still look good.

Paula, what are you doing to your beds?  My hostas have also had the chance
to turn golden this year.  Some are still green with ragged leaves, I was
thinking of cutting them back to the ground, nice weather this weekend so
this is the chance.

Look for the new growth buds next to the soft crowns.  That will give you a
clue about what is going on.  N.

Narda Miller
z5
Fairfield, OH