Re: Peidmont Gold

 Thanks.  I didn't get much seed off the plant this year because we had
such a hot summer just when many hostas were blooming and they didn't
set.  I love the form of Piedmont Gold and Satisfaction, so I'm hoping
that I can get some decent offspring sooner or later.

One of our first hosta buying trips many years ago was to the New England
area and we stopped at Piemont.  He was quite old at the time and didn't
spend much time with us, but I admired his plant of hypoleuca and bought
one from him.  I still think it's one of the best breeders around and I'm
still getting great seedlings from that plant and its offspring.

W. George Schmid wrote:

  Hi Chick,
  Payne of Piedmont Nursery used both H. sieboldiana and H. montana in his
  work in the early 1970s. PG has much H. montana in it, but the Fortunei
  Group (he also had F. Gigantea) may have played a role too. WGS
  W. George Schmid
  Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
  Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
  84-12'-30" West_33-51' North

   trying to find the

    backround of Piedmont Gold, the only reference I can find to its
    parentage is from Zillis' book, which says it is a sieboldiana cultivar

  To sign-off this list, send email to   majordomo@hort.net   with the