RE: Naming genes in hosta

  • Subject: RE: Naming genes in hosta
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" alietzow@myfamily.com
  • Date: 11 Nov 2003 12:45:17 -0700

Dear Ben and list,

Thank you, Ben.  I knew I could depend on you to not only have access to knowledge, but to be the source of knowledge regarding gene naming.

RE:>>Any questions? just ask.

I understand your naming convention as illustrated for naming white (whi) flowers, with one question; would using the Latin term "albus", and shortening it to "alb" make any sense?   The gene for white flowers would be either "alb", "ALB", or "alb+" as a starting point, with  albA, albB, albC for locus #1, #2, #3, etc. (as you descrived for sieboldii alba, yingeri, and rectifolia),  and albA1, albA2, albA3, etc. for the alleles (later to be the identified nucleotide sequences) found at each locus.   If it were later discovered that the gene(s) involved were already identified and named, a choice could be made at that time whether to adopt the the pre-existing naming convention.

Using a Latin name for as many phenotypic traits as possible might enable newly identified genes to be more easily cross-matched against existing plant gene databases.  That's where is seems to make sense to study the currently existing plant genomic databases. Has someone already established names for leaf color genes and alleles?   Or maybe they would be so unique in Hosta that it doesn't make any sense to worry about it at this point?

Apparently, for many Isozymes, names already exist and have been identified in Hosta, as listed in the research of Myong Gi Chung, in his paper "Spatial genetic structure among Korean populations of Hosta minor and H. capitata (Liliaceae)", published in Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica, Vol. 37, 1996.  Phosphoglucomutase (PGM), phosphoglucoisomerase (PGI), diaphorase (DIA), etc. which are listed as Alleles, have representative names of Pgm-1, Pgm-2, Pgm-3[a], Pgm-3[b], Pgi-1[a], Pgi-1[b], Pgi-1[c], etc.   Again, I know just enough about this to be dangerous but I think there is no use in reinventing the wheel, if that can be avoided.   Maybe this naming convention was only used this one time?

At this point, I'm trying to determine if there is anyone else, in addition to Ben, who has some interest in gene mapping, and to see if there is a common ground for naming the genes and alleles for phenotypes that are already known.   IOW is there an "International Hosta Genome Executive Committee" and if not, who has an interest in starting one?

Andrew Lietzow
Des Moines, Iowa

Get your own family web site at at www.MyFamily.com!