Re: H. 'Fragrant King'

  • Subject: Re: H. 'Fragrant King'
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:29:54 EST

In a message dated 10/30/04 8:42:12 PM, naylorck@olypen.com writes:

<< Hi Pat,

Not to but in here but Fragrant King is really green...it comes from Fried

GreenTomatoes so it has that bloom on the leaves like a blue plant and that

sort of gives it the "blue" tinge in the photo.  It basically looks like a

FGT with a nice wide creamy-white margin.  In our NW climate the bloom

remains all season but in warmer climes it would probably melt off by

midsummer.  Hope that makes some sense of it.

Gary & Jack

Naylor Creek Nursery

Subject: H. 'Fragrant King'

> In the Van den top web site: http://www.vandentop.nl/Nieuws_2003.html a

> photo of H. 'Fragrant King' can be viewed. It does have some blue hint on

> the leaves, some interpretation of blue can be misleading at times. In my

> database, if there is any amount of blue evident I use BG to cover both

> colors. Seems to make sense to me but nothing is written in concrete!!!

> Pat

Gary and Jack,

It is interesting to note that the International Registration of Hosta
Culivars form  as shown in the back page of the Registration book  Volume 35:R
Says==Leaf color (choose from the adjacent list).  They list a dark green,
slightly blue-green, medium blue-green, intensely blue-green. Nowhere on the list do w
e find a 'blue.'  So, I would guess if you want a blue, just adjust the
camera, scanners, etc., and you can get any shade of blue you want.

Viva la hosta, the chameleon plant

Lemke's Database
Marvin 'Mike' Lemke
3615 Davisson Road