Re: Which book should I buy? ALL OF THEM, OF COURSE

In a message dated 11/3/98 3:20:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
debbys@dreamscape.com writes:

<<  George Schmid's book looks like it might
 be what I need (I like to get enough info to understand the botanical
 relationships among plants), but it's way more expensive than the other 2
 are. Is it any better?  >>
it is, without a doubt, the best book on the subject.....perhaps ran can favor
us with "a poem on a tome"...it is worth every penny.....if one were to
consider a 50 year love affair with hosta, then this book can be considered
well worth a bucks a year......frankly i have had mine for 4 years and it
would be worth the 50 bucks every year......

there is only one downside......now that it is a few years old.....it
obviously is not current on registrations for the past few years.....but then
again, that is what catalogs & journals are for......

the grenfell books are also wonderful, but she does write with a british
background....let me assure you that they grow things differently than we do
here.....so her cultural tips may not be onpoint.....otherwise they are also
worth the money also....

ken

PS: from my point of view, buy all the books......and a few less hosta next
year......knowledge is primary....hosta secondary....[WELL I DONT EVEN BELIEVE
THAT....LOL]