Ponds, water features

Since we're discussing water features I'd like to know if anyone has a
whiskey barrel type pond.  I don't have room for anything larger but I'm
concerned about what might be necessary to keep it clean and relatively
bug free.  Are there plants for them that will do well with less than
full sun?  My thought is to put it near the bird bath in the hosta