Re: Thoughts for the day

We're having rain here, too, Mary. What a blessing after our drought.

Two comments about your thoughts on gene transferance (which I agree with).
Your tomato analogy is very appropriate. Imagine if the gene people succeed
in putting a gene for red stems/leaves into hosta, and then after we had
invested gazillions of dollars in them we found out that red stems are real
slug magnets, or that red stems mask the symptoms of southern blight.

And second, who needs genetically altered hosta anyway? Like who needs
white marigolds or yellow geraniums or blue hibiscus? If we start to make
every plant every color, then why grow different plants? If I want blue, I
go to my Salvia guaranitica, I don't look for it in hibiscus.

I have always been uneasy in Japanese gardens..Not because they are ugly or
not peaceful, but when I see them I read man's desire to bend nature to his
will and make it perfect in his/her eyes. Not my cuppa tea, thank you.

And as for your last paragraph, don't get me started on global climate
change; it's what I do for a living, and yes, we have screwed things up
(though it's probably La Nina that's responsible for our drought).

Gerry

At 12:27 PM 11/25/99 EST, you wrote:
>The question raised as to the quality of our appreciation for a hosta with
>red leaves that was created by the use of the gene gun has been playing in
my
>mind. I don't know the answer but then I have never been able to convince
>myself that a red hosta is what I want anyway. To me the relaxing colors of
>the hosta garden are just about perfect. I love the cool soft colors that
are
>displayed and discovered a long time ago that red was not a color I wanted
>among the shade plants that I grew among the hostas and ferns. Then too we
>would need to consider if the gene gun could produce a red that would hold
>through the long hot summer. Here in the South the red petioles only last
>until the heat arrives. Some become a muddy brown and others just fade away.
>
>There are a lot of things to consider when man begins to mess with nature.
>For an example I have not been able to buy a good tomato in the past two
>years. They have been altered to improve the shipping qualities. I would
like
>to ask why bother to ship what is now available. The tomatoes in out stores
>have been hard, have had no flavor and forgot that they should have juice.
If