Re: "AND ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST" a song

Jim:

>In order to make substantial changes in plants (or animals for that
>matter) that truly change the form of the organism will require the
>transfer of several genes.  We do not at present have the insight to
>know how to control these changes,

It is true that genetic engineering is transfering one gene at a time,
but that is also because that is what is needed.  There is no need to
radically change a corn plant - all you want to do is make it resitent
to corn weevil.  It's only necessary to add one gene.

However, substantial changes do occure in nature, depending on how you
define substantial.  Many of the species in the iris genus are the
result of crosses between two species, via unreduced gametes that
produced a new species.  Luther Burbank was the first to do this in
cultivation, although he was ridiculed at the time when he present his
one and only scientific paper at a horticulture meeting.  He took two
poisonous nightshade family species and tried crossing them for 13
years and finally got one seed, which germinated and produced true
breeding progenies that looked like hybrids of the two parents, but
the seedling was NOT poisonous.  It was sold for many years as
Wonderberry, Sunberry and Garden Huckleberry and may still be
available.

Also, it's not difficult to combine diferent genomes via protoplast
fusion that combine existing genomes into new combinations.  Some of
these systems would be so far out of balance that they wouldn't
survive, but there is no reason why some wide combinations might not
be successful.  Not sure why this line of research isn't being
perused, as it isn't really that difficult.

Joe Halinar