Re: Political Debate

In a message dated 10/8/00 11:15:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
chick@bridgewoodgardens.com writes:

<< So far, I can't remember any Republican saying they like George Bush, or
 any Democrat saying they like Al Gore, indicating to me that if their
 own constituents can't say anything good about them, we may have to
 consider the possibility that neither one of them is worth electing.
 Unfortunately, one or them is going to be President next year. >>

Chick, although you and I probably differ somewhat on our political leanings,
we have found new common ground!  I have worked on two Presidential
elections, (one of which I rode on the coattails to get my first job, and the
second of which we lost), worked in the Old Executive Office Building (for
those not from the DC area or familiar with Washington speak that means White
House staff), worked on both the House and Senate staffs, on personal staff
as well as committee staff and as a committee counsel on the House Energy and
Commerce Committee.  For whom and for what party is not what is relevant.
But, what scares the "sh_t" out of me is, in the last two elections, is
precisely the point you are making.  The preponderance of the debate among
voters is NOT why they are voting for someone but rather why they are voting
against the other.  This is a far cry from the way it was when I first came
to town approximately 25 years ago!

Kevin P. Walek