Maple Trees

Knowing what maple tree roots will do to my gardens, I want to make
some raised beds. My question to anyone in the know is:  will the
little feeder roots of the maple rise to the surface of  my raised
garden and continue choking out my plants?

Am I creating more work for myself in a loosing battle with the tree?
If not, how deep should the raised garden be.  I have plants in the
spot now that I want to dig up and replant.

Thanks, CHAR