Re: Hostas in California

Hi Chick

We work the San Francisco Flower Show and have had very good success in
selling and hearing that they do quite well in Northern Calif and the
coastal range of Central Calif--even have had customers from Southern Calif
who insist they do well there (we do look at them in amazement)...get good
reports from places like San Jose and Sacramento which we thought too warm
but guess they get a cold spell or two in the winter.  My folks live in the
hills of the gold country and they grow like weeds there.  One problem that
is disastrous in the Bay Area is a tremendous snail population which seems
to be more devastating than the slugs of the Northwest--its just very
important to let the customer know that they're going to have to protect
against them as they tend to only try and grow things the snails don't like.

Hope this helps
Gary & Jack
Naylor Creek Nursery