Re: hosta 'gypsy rose'

Lu and all,

OK, Hosta Gypsy Rose is what we have been shipping as H. Strip Tease.  When
I visited Bob Solberg and Tony Avent, they both had plants set out to show
me the difference. When I got back to Gay, Georgia,  I checked the original
stock plant, and it apparently is Gypsy Rose and not Strip Tease.
Therefore, origin is unknown (the plant came from Robert Harris).  I may be
a bit pretentious in naming this plant, but I do not want to perpetuate an
error in the trade.

H. Gypsy Rose is smaller than Strip Tease with more eyes per plant.  It
grows more like the Gold Standard that Strip Tease is supposed to have come
from.  The leaves are the same dark green, and when juvenile they are
indistinguishable.  As the leaves mature, Strip Tease develops a muddy white
center with a distinctive white band around the center.  Gypsy Rose gets a
creamy-gold center (without the muddy color) with the same white band.  As
Chick mentions, Gypsy Rose is in my opinion more attractive than Strip
Tease.  We now have Originator's stock of H. Strip Tease thanks to Van Wade,
and will try to have some plants available by next summer.

This is our first major error in identifying a plant we culture, but at
least the resultant plant is a good one.  If you have a H. Strip Tease that
you can trace back to our laboratory, it is probably H. Gypsy Rose.

Jim Anderson
Winterberry Farms TC