Hosta in Focus

  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Subject: Hosta in Focus
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:03:18 EDT

We have had another adjustment in the Hosta in Focus schedule.  After
speaking at the Tri-State meeting in New Jersey, Jim Wilkins has decided that
he still needs some time to get his health back and his speaking schedule
back to full-speed and he has asked that we find a replacement speaker for
him.  Jim was going to be speaking about how to photograph hosta.

We have been able to persuade Sandie Markland to give her presentation on
(How to Fit 200 Plus) Hostas in a Townhouse Garden (And make it look GREAT!)
This presentation also provides an insight into Sandie's secrets of container
gardening, recently published in The Hosta Journal and that have made her
garden a focus for magazine and book authors and photographers.  She will be
handing out a detailed landscape design for her garden which will aid anyone
similarly situated become a hostaholic.  This presentation was well received
and raved about after her North Carolina appearance this spring.

Please get your meeting reservation in before November 4th for purposes of
meal planning.  Although the block of rooms at the hotel have been sold-out I
will assist anyone wishing to try to get a lower rate at the hotel -- the are
usually very receptive to my requests.

I am again attaching the registration form below.

November 11 is just around the corner and with it comes the Sixth Annual
Hosta in Focus Festival.  And what a line up of speakers.  There is no late
fee this year as we feel you will all want to get your reservations in early.
 In fact, we already have 20 registered.  But please, as a courtesy to the
planners, get your reservations in at least by November 4 for meal planning
purposes.

This late fall event is again scheduled at the Fairview Park Marriott, Falls
Church, Virginia on Saturday, November 11, 2000. Hosta In Focus and is
attended by all members of hosta groups throughout the hosta world. In
addition to Sandie:

Bob Solberg, President American Hosta Growers Association and Green Hill
Farms,
Inc. will weave his magic with a topic to be announced. No meeting would be
complete without Mark Zilis, pioneer of hosta tissue culture participating,
and this year as a special treat he will share with us a look at his new
book. Mark also will have copies of the book for sale and be available to
autograph them during the day. Kevin Walek will provide us with ways to take
better care of our hostas by learning to identify hosta diseases. If these
speakers haven't answered your questions you'll get your chance during the
Question and Answer session directed to a Hosta expert panel hosted by Kevin
Walek.

This fun filled day will conclude with dinner followed by Mike Shadrack,
Editor of the British Hosta and Hemerocallis Society, whose presentation
looks to be interesting and is entitled "Hostas Around the 'Pond'". His
British accent is easily matched by his amazing wit and sense of humor. You
think that Steve, the Aussie alligator hunter on PBS is fun -- he has nothing
on Mike.

Further, don't forget this is also an opportunity for every camera bug to
exhibit prints, print albums and slides in the Hosta In Focus Photography
Contest. So come on out and join in the Hosta Fun. Remember Think Cool and be
at Hosta-In-Focus - VI, November 11, 2000 at the Fairview Park Marriott,
Falls Church, Virginia.  Hotel reservations should be made separately by
calling the hotel, 1-800-228-9290 or 703-849-9400.

*While we have confirmation from all scheduled speakers, there is always the
possibility of change due to unforeseeable circumstances.

Hosta-In-Focus Festival
Saturday,  November 11, 2000
Don't Miss It!     Register Now!

----------------------
Teaser for Hosta in Focus 2001

Start planning for Hosta in Focus 2001, We are jokingly calling this one "ZZ
Top Returns" as we will have Bob Solberg, Harry Abel demonstrating Hosta
Bonzai, Kevin Walek discussing and demonstrating digital cameras, Janet Mills
showing how to use computer software to do Hosta Journal quality layout (this
will be a must for newsletter editors across the country.) and a surprise
guest, who may come out of "retirement" for this event but who has nearly,
but not yet, confirmed (and may be announced at this year's event.)

----------------------------------

HOSTA-IN-FOCUS FESTIVAL
REGISTRATION/ENTRY FORM

NAME(S)______________________   NAMES ON NAMETAG_____________________

        ______________________                    _____________________

        ______________________                    _____________________

STREET ______________________  CITY ___________________ STATE___ ZIP _________

Contact Phone No. _________________________

Please check the categories that apply:

I/We plan to attend         I/We plan to enter  (if you need contest rules
contact
Lunch/Presentations ____        Prints      ____              Kevin at the
address below)
Hospitality Room    ____        Album       ____
Optional Dinner ____        Slides      ____

I/we plan to stay at the hotel (these reservations must be made with the
hotel directly say your are with the Hosta group)  _____

FEES                    X   NO. OF PEOPLE   =   TOTAL THIS ITEM

REGISTRATION (DAYTIME
SPEAKERS AND LUNCHEON)  $55 X

OPTIONAL DINNER
AND SPEAKER         $40 X

ENTRY FEE (NON-
ATTENDEES
WHO WISH TO
ENTER CONTEST)          $15 X

    ENCLOSED IS A CHECK FOR         GRAND TOTAL  ______________

PLEASE MAIL THIS FORM AND CHECK MADE OUT TO:
MID-ATLANTIC REGIONAL HOSTA SOCIETY TO
KEVIN P. WALEK, 9122 JOHN WAY, FAIRFAX STATION, VA 22039-3042
(703) 643-1928 (answering machine) or
(703) 643-1927

Kevin P. Walek