Potted Hostas

This has been a timely discussion, thanks folks.

In the past, people have had discussions about
over-wintering hostas in pots. I wish I would have paid more
attention. I think it may be time to take a trip to the
archives.

I have been potting up many of the hostas in my garden. What
I did is get bags and bags of Natures Helper and mix in some
of the clay that comes up with the plants. Very little clay,
but for some reason, it makes me feel better to put it in
the pots with the natures helper, besides the fact that it
extends the soil. It is extremely well draining. I've been
going out and checking the pots every other day to see how
dry they are. If it's extremely dry, I sprinkle them with
some water.

The foliage is still very green, but beginning to show signs
of stress, or dormancy, not sure which. I'm guessing that
it's better to cut this off once dormant, right?

We don't have very severe winters, and only get 2-3 days of
snow during the coldest of winter days. So, once these
puppies go dormant, should they be watered? If so, once a
week? once a month? twice a month? I'd be afraid of the
water freezing at night and causing root damage.

I know I've heard others say that they have overwintered
pots in their garages. Wish I had a garage big enough to
house this many plants. Right now they are sitting in the
woods, protected from the sun by the canopy of the trees.
But what happens when the leaves begin to drop?

I need to do research, obviously...anyway, thanks for your
input.

Lu (Atlanta, Zone 7B)