Re: Observation........

  • Subject: Re: Observation........
  • From: JMFLIES@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:19:39 EDT

Michael.Pinterics@med.ge.com writes:

Though I'm no expert on this I'd have to believe that
there are some fairly simple explanations.

1)  Plants grown in pots tend to dry out rather quickly,
   or atleast more quickly than those grown in the ground.
   As the plants dry out the roots are induced to grow deeper
   and find more reliable water source.

Mike, I was afraid that the plant would dry out quickly, therefore I placed a moss pad (those liners that they use in hanging wire baskets), in the base of the cement pot.  For two reasons, my thinking first was to help hold some of the moisture in the pot, secondly, so I wouldn't get soil on the deck from the hole in the pot.  Sometimes the hosta would get watered a second time in one week if it had been really hot and dry.  But Miracle Grow was only given once a week.

2)    Food/micro-organisms/minerals/etc.  I would think that
   even though you are fertilizing the 'natural' stuff in the ground
   would offer more 'good stuff' and offer it at a more consistant
   rate.  Potted plants will then send out deeper roots and more
   aggressively search out a supply of food.

3)  Soil vs potting soil.  Depending on what type of soil you have

in your garden vs the composition of your potting soil, the soil

may likely be heavier and compact more easily.  Roots will
   grow as needed.  As they encounter resistance they may slow
   or stop growing and essentially get root bound.  I am not sure
   how probable this last 'idea' might be but it is a thought.  I am
   thinking that the first two 'idea's' might carry more weight.

My gardens are mulched with a mixture of decomposed horse manure, peat moss, and ground up leaves.  Which is also worked into the soil.  I would like to think (maybe wrong), that this would be better than the Miracle Grow in the cement pot.  Therefore, the nutrient value of the garden being better which would produce more roots.  '???'

The bag potting soil had peat moss in it also.

Just some thoughts to ponder...........any conclusions would be/are welcomed.

Am starting to think everything should be in pots???  Possibly not for the winter, but for the growing season and then POSSIBLY pot and all planted in the ground for the winter months.
  -  Joyce

                                       JOYCE M. FLIES

PANTHEON HOSTA GARDENS
"The Friendship Plant'