Re: Forcing hostas for an indoor exhibit

  • Subject: Re: Forcing hostas for an indoor exhibit
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 18:29:55 -0400

Hi Reggie,
           I've forced hostas before and basically the only important thing is to keep them cool and dry once they're growing. Temps around 45-55 F at night and 50-60 F daytime. Too much heat and they will become soft and floppy, too much heat and water and they will rot too. They take about a month to fully leaf out, and at least two more weeks to color up. Starting them at the end of January should work fine. Trying to hold them another month once they're leafed out probably is OK if you watch the temperature closely. Color will be best if they get plenty of sun. Lutescent golds may take another month or more to turn from chartreuse to gold. Avoid letting them leaf out in shade then putting them in sun, start them with the sun they will have once up.
                                                                             ...............Bill Meyer