RE: (OT) Figs and frost in zone 7 already?

  • Subject: RE: (OT) Figs and frost in zone 7 already?
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <MC_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:13:02 -0400

Gerry I have not seen the maps. The fellow that told me about them manages forests for Bowater. He comes to the garden at least twice a year.  We often discuss early spring damage. He told me that he checked our area on his maps at the office and we were in a know cold pocket. We can get a really killing freeze and he will be fine. He lives in Cleveland which is north of me.

I sure need to try your type of fig. Mine is a large red brown one. I only get a few each year before the freeze hits. I remember when we were in school at Knoxville that Roy told me about a large fig tree where he had a room. It ripened early also but we have not been able to find one like it.
Mary