Re: Overwintering pots of hosta...

  • Subject: Re: Overwintering pots of hosta...
  • From: EntICE11@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:11:50 EDT

Hi All,
The pots in winter..in zone 4 I have buried in sand and wood chips.
At the time I did not know about the no water and let mother nature take care of them. Haven't lost any, but I really didn't have any valuable ones at that time.

I have found that leaving pots of hostas, that have nematodes, above ground with no mulch....if they survive, end up with no sings of nematodes the next year. I now have two plants I have done this to. Kim also had some plants that she left out over the winter...and they who survived are nematode free.
We might be on to something here. If you don't have a way to heat the plants..or the chemicals to rid them of this pest.
I like the chances of letting them freeze. I think the survival rate is about the same.
Anybody else find this to be true?

Paula
Blaine,Mn
Where Embarrass, Mn hit 12 degrees.....