list of small trees - fall chores?

  • Subject: list of small trees - fall chores?
  • From: "Cindy Johnson" <cidjohnson323@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:59:22 -0500

Carolyn wrote:
that would be a good list Cindy!  Would appreciate having the zone
listed - as I think some of the trees that have been talked about aren't
hardy to Zone 5.   Thanks, Carolyn Hamilton

Ya, it WOULD be a good list, wouldn't it.  Unfortunately, I think most of the posts didn't mention the hardiness zone, so it would take some time to look each up while compiling the list.  I can't make the time to do it myself, right now, so that's why I asked if anyone else had.  Lu did send me her file of the saved posts (thanks Lu!) and I'll hang onto it and perhaps get to it this winter :)  Today I'm out emptying pots into the compost pile, where I'll overwinter some of my hostas and other less than hardy plants.  In the past I've buried these plants, but that's a lot of work and I don't have a lot of space I can dig up for it.  Last winter I tried overwintering a few hostas from pots, Japanese maples, and plants in bonsai pots in the compost pile and they all survived great without any rodent damage. It was a normal cold winter, too.   It's another beautiful fall day here with an above normal high of 65.  That's soon to change as the highs by end of the week will only be in the 30s.  Hopefully I'll be done with my fall chores before that!  Back outside I go!

What's everyone else doing in their gardens right now?

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a