Re: .exe attachments

  • Subject: Re: .exe attachments
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:46:26 -0400

Hi Narda,
I do not blame anyone for this but the idiots who have nothing better to do
than cause problems. I am back better than ever. I had Norton 2001, which
came with the Dell 8200 last year. It worked fine and I had automatic live
update. Somehow, it missed the worm/virus, though. I never open but will
save to a: and scan it on a:. If it comes up OK I might open it. Well, I did
and Norton 2001 just vanished. I went to SAFE mode and reconfigured the
system to 2002/09/28 (before the virus hit), then deleted Norton 2001 and
installed 2002 I found on a CD that came with the 8200. I did a full scan
and the Bugbear was gone. The 2002 version has a new option which denies
access of an infected attachment to the Inbox. I really like this because
that way I never see the attachment in the inbox. It will notify that an
attachment with virus has had access denied and then you can try to repair,
or that failing, quarantine and delete. Works like a charm. Since you never
see the attachment you will never be tempted to open without thinking first.
I am on some other forums and all have been plagued with this not so new
virus/worm W32Bugbear virus. The attachment was WS_FTP.LOG.pif. The other
forums got some real tricky attachments with SKGSHIP.lbl.scr. Thanks for you
words, Narda. W George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL