Seeds and Maturation

  • Subject: Seeds and Maturation
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:56:46 -0500

Good Morning Guys:

I am writing this to find out if I have established some foolish habits
over the years. Any contributions which point out the error of my ways
would be appreciated.

We had a mild frost last night and most of my seeds are not ready to be
harvested yet. I have always assumed( and seem to have some evidence ) that
mild frosts don't really stop the maturation process. Am I correct? Some
years, I have taken the seed stalks and placed them in water on the window
sill in the sun, and waited and hoped for the best. Is this foolish? Most
of the time I seem to have had viable seeds. I have even put a little
fertilizer in the water..trace amounts really. I have also always assumed
that a freeze (25 degrees or lower stops any hope of seeds maturing. Is
this true?

After 15 years of hostas and 10 years of raising hostas from seed, I should
be ashamed to be asking these questions. But I'm not. The advantage of
approaching 60, is the advantage of not being afraid of appearing stupid.
By this time, there is such an accumulation of evidence making this point,
that any addition to the heap, merely guilds the lily.

QUESTION: How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb?'

Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole
lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a burned-out bulb?
code.

Dachshund: You know I can't reach that damned stupid lamp!

Rottweiler: Make me.

Lab: Oh, me, me!!!! Pleeeeeeze let me change the light bulb!  Can I?  Can
I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I?

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont