Re: Seeds and Maturation (for John Christensen etcetera)

  • Subject: Re: Seeds and Maturation (for John Christensen etcetera)
  • From: earthspirit bdn7458@mailbag.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:02:42 -0500

REGARDING THE OTHER EMAILS; pertaining to Mark Zillis' book saying hosta
seed can be ripe and viable to sprout within 30 days after
pollination? I'm thinking, that someone who knows Mark personally, should
question Mark about this statement in his book, since I believe, it is
highly impossible to have ripe hosta seed which shall sprout plants [4
weeks (one month?) + 2 days] after pollination? *****Bill, I know that daylily seed matures in 42 days from pollination, so 30 days doesn't sound too wierd to me. After the seeds are ripe, they need to be refrigerated for 3 weeks and then are ready to plant. Since hosta seeds are so much smaller than daylily seeds, it would seem feasible that they mature sooner.......but having not done much hosta hybridizing, I don't know that for a fact. Three months sounds incredibly long for seed maturation. Jean Bawden, Madison, Wi