H. 'Flamboyant'

  • Subject: H. 'Flamboyant'
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:09:44 -0500

I have been out this morning gathering seed scapes to put into water. It is
supposed to be 17 degrees tonight and that certainly is enough to frost
your pumpkin.  I have a large  H. 'Flamboyant' that always produces a big
yield of superior seeds with 25% variegation or more. This plant has given
me a large number of centered seedlings. This time I noticed  that one
scape was faciated and branched out at about 11 inches from the top. These
branching scapes were flat too and each had seed pods on it. Then again
these two scapes branched and produced two more scapes, once again having
fully formed seed pods on them. Then once again, one of the new scapes
split again producing flowers and seeds.

This may not be uncommon but I have never seen it in my garden before. Any
other such experiences out there? I saw faciated scapes on Mildred's
Seaver's H. 'Humpback Whale' so at least I knew what a flattened scape was
called. I guess I am asking if this trait is apt to be genetic, or a result
of environmental conditions?

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont