Re: Free Seed -- adding "vigor" as an important hybridizing goal -- broad spectrum lighting

  • Subject: Re: Free Seed -- adding "vigor" as an important hybridizing goal -- broad spectrum lighting
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" alietzow@myfamily.com
  • Date: 20 Oct 2003 16:02:25 -0600

Bill and Open'ers,
Thanks for your reply, Bill,

RE:>>I'm supposing, that by doing this, perhaps the vigorous growing aspect might become inherited?

Unfortunately, I wouldn't think so.  Using hormones to enhance growth will do nothing to change the genetic makeup of the plant, or any progeny.   Insertion of the DNA sequence that increases the formation of a growth hormone, i.e. through some form of gene splicing, now that would be a different matter.   Need an appropriate vector--anyone now of such?   Or access to a gene gun.   I have a ways to go before I can accomplish any of this but gene splicing gets interesting very quickly.. :-)

Ciao.  Andrew in Des Moines, where we missed a record by a scant three degrees.   86 today, 89 back in 1947...

Get your own family web site at at www.MyFamily.com!