Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #12

  • Subject: Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #12
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:49:11 -0500

Hi Joe,
       One of the things we see in TC hostas that differs from
natural-division hostas is this odd issue of changes in vigor. Another is
apparent ploidy changes and changes in disease resistance. We'll skip the
latter ones for now, but my point is that there seem to be mutations that
are common in tissue culture but rare in natural division. Ben suggests
(correct me if I'm wrong) that TC batches that grow extremely slowly could
be the result of poor hormone balances impacting the health of the plant in
a way that interferes with their normal processes and therefore growth like
a malnourished puppy. This could be the case much of the time, but wouldn't
such effects wear off in a season or two and the plant resume normal growth
thereafter? The growth in these TC batches seems permanently impaired. Some
of the TC 'Great Expectations' are a good example. Even after 3-5 years
(assuming the plant survives), growth never seems to return to "normal". I
saw one batch that after two seasons had yet to make a leaf the size of a
business card. To me, this suggests a mutation has occurred. Unfortunately
in the most extreme cases like that one, it may prove impossible to test
whether this trait is passed on because they may never reach blooming size.
Then there are those TC batches said to be stronger and more vigorous than
their source material. I suppose this could be a result of a ploidy change,
but we're back to the same point with that.
       What I'm thinking here with this is that there are some types of
mutations that are more likely to occur with exposure to auxins and
cytokinins in the TC process. That are triggered more easily in that
environment but rarely in the outdoor environment. I'm not sure it's safe to
compare hostas to other plants in TC because of the much higher frequency
and variety of changes in hostas compared to other genera.
                                                     ........Bill Meyer