Re: Magnolia Mattie Mae Smith

  • Subject: Re: Magnolia Mattie Mae Smith
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:35:50 -0400

glen, do you have a photo?

On Oct 4, 2004, at 12:25 PM, Glen Williams wrote:

Dear Hosta Folk in need of a wayward magnolia:

I did something stupid last spring. I purchased the magnolia Mattie Mae
Smith. It has gorgeous variegated leaves combining dark green and a
chartreuse. It even bloomed this summer. When I purchsed it , the
desription read ZONE 5. I swear it did. Honest. Well , sometime during the
summer the catalogue I used to purchase it was switched with anoither
catalogue which Proclaimed ZONE 6 in giant letters. In a good year I live
in zone 5 (barely). The magnolia, no matter how well wrapped will die this
winter. I paid 50 or 60 dollars for it and because of the devilish switch
of catalogues I did not see the real zone until it was too. late. It is now
about five feet high with good branching. The tag (which does not include
the zone limit) reads: Spacing 15 to 20 feet. Soil:Moist to wet. Aicd
well-drained.Location: full sun- partial shade ( whatever that might mean),
Bloom time..late spring to early summer. Height 15-20 feet. It also says
consider this a pity as a little of asexual messing around might have been
fun this summer. None the less these are the rules.

What I am looking for is some who wants the plant , will give it a good
home without molesting it - and who is willing to send a check as a
donation for next year' FIRST LOOK. I will even bulld the box and eat the
postage for mailing it to this lucky person. I think I should take it up
sometime this month and send it on its way..unless someone out there knows
something I don't. It's a nice plant and I would like to see it have a good
home and do a little good for First Look along the way. I would suggest
e-mailing me privately if you want it . The highest bid will be the one
that gets it. If no one wants it I just may turn it into a house plant for
the root cellar.No offers accepted after midnight tonight my time (east
coast time; we get the sun first in America while the rest of you get it
used. Of course we get your used weather)

Awaiting  your response in Vermont where frost was only 7 degrees of
separation away this morning.    glen .

Every word was once a poem. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839