RE: getting ready for winter

  • Subject: RE: getting ready for winter
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:04:55 -0700 (PDT)

All true but I suggest that one learns what
specifically should be done about the problems that
hosta DO suffer from. Southern Blight is a soil borne
fungus, it must be treated at appropriate times in its
life cycle and fall "cleanup" is not one of those
Our gardens are not "natural habitats" but they do
resemble natural habitats in that more natural rules
do apply than don't.
I offer that this is a place to teach and learn so the
hobby gardener can learn the things that will help and
those that will hurt. Ray for example is a well known
good grower, so if he researches my position and comes
back and teaches me what I don't know and reaffirms
what I do know.
I knew that hosta don't do so well under walnut and
water maples but did not know that they suffer under
magnolia grandiflora. As others add what are good
canopy and bad canopy tress we all move forward.
To not use this type of forum to teach and learn dumbs
down the whole. I know that was not your intention,
I'm asking you to rethink your approach.

--- "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>

Conflict is as addictive as
cocaine, alcohol, cigarettes,etc
I'm sorry to report that