RE: getting ready for winter

  • Subject: RE: getting ready for winter
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:28:07 -0700 (PDT)

Boy, talk about getting in a bad spot, disagreeing
with W. George and UGA extension agents.
The decomposing process south or north is a cleansing
agent. Good bacteria and fungi have the best chance of
out competing bad bacteria and fungi when we allow the
natural process to operate. It is like sterilizing a
petri dish and setting it out to see what starts to
grow. Usually the most problematic organisms appear
first then the good guys come along and begin to
compete. The problem is the bad guys may damage the
plant before equilibrium returns.
Extension guys everywhere are steeped in row crops and
not natural ways. My experience is they are dumber
than stumps and give some outrageously bad advice.
George go back and talk to UGA soil scientist about my
arguments and see if you get the same take on all

--- "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>

> Hi Bill, All,
> I talked to my extension agent (UGA) and several
> Hort Science guys there.
> All recommend fall cleanup, particularly here in the
> South, where we have no
> real hard freezes (well sometimes) to knock down
> disease agents. We
> appreciate your contribution, which should apple
> north as well as south.
> George
> W. George Schmid
> Hosta Hill