Re: getting ready for winter

More info at http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h407blkwal-tox.html and elsewhere. I grow many, many other plants among the hostas under the walnut trees, but not ericaceous ones, which I knew to be affected.

I wonder about the other plants on the affected list: I wouldn't plant any of them (tomatoes!?!) under walnut trees as the lack of light would be sufficient to do them in or at least cause stress injury.

Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 1:31 AM
Subject: Re: getting ready for winter

It was my understanding the walnuts put off a chemical
that was problematic for many plants including hosta.
I'm going to do what I suggest others do and research
the question.
Of course whatever I find to say they do suffer will
not disprove your experience.

--- Viktoria Serafin <viktoria@glenbrookplants.com>
wrote:

"I knew that hosta don't do so well under walnut..."

Why not?  I have hundreds of hostas growing under
walnuts and I have
observed no ill effects.

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 3:04 PM

> All true but I suggest that one learns what
> specifically should be done about the problems
that
> hosta DO suffer from. Southern Blight is a soil
borne
> fungus, it must be treated at appropriate times in
its
> life cycle and fall "cleanup" is not one of those
> times.
> Our gardens are not "natural habitats" but they do
> resemble natural habitats in that more natural
rules
> do apply than don't.
> I offer that this is a place to teach and learn so
the
> hobby gardener can learn the things that will help
and
> those that will hurt. Ray for example is a well
known
> good grower, so if he researches my position and
comes
> back and teaches me what I don't know and
reaffirms
> what I do know.
> I knew that hosta don't do so well under walnut
and
> water maples but did not know that they suffer
under
> magnolia grandiflora. As others add what are good
> canopy and bad canopy tress we all move forward.
> To not use this type of forum to teach and learn
dumbs
> down the whole. I know that was not your
intention,
> I'm asking you to rethink your approach.
>
> --- "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Gentlepersons,
>> You are right, yet you may be a bit wrong, too!
>>
>> Yes, I agree, Mother Nature does it best. I spend
>> many days in the Blue
>> Ridge mountains during all seasons and I marvel
at
>> the way everything works.
>> The woods soil is something to die for and it is
the
>> accumulation of eons of
>> falling leaves and needles, not to speak of
branches
>> and even trees. To see
>> rows of native orchids growing on a rotting tree
>> trunk in Slickrock
>> Wilderness is a wonder.
>>
>> In Japan hostas grow the same way. Their native
>> habitat provides all they
>> need, just as our native plants feed on nature's
own
>> detritus;
>>
>> BUT
>>
>> Hostas are strangers in our world. What I am
getting
>> at is that our native
>> conditions may present challenges hostas do not
face
>> in their native
>> habitat. I have never seen heat-dormant hostas in
>> Japan as one would see
>> here in the baking, hot South. My point is that
>> hostas are not endemic to
>> North America and there is a possibility that
here
>> they may encounter
>> adverse conditions and/or virulent pests unknown
in
>> Japan. Another point is
>> that gardens are not a native habitat. There is
no
>> balance of nature in
>> gardens. Grow hostas under a Magnolia grandiflora
>> and leave all the leaf
>> detritus in place during late fall and winter and
>> you will find out very
>> quickly that the hostas will quickly disappear.
>>
>> It may be better for inexperienced gardeners to
>> clean up before winter. The
>> old hats at gardening know where to look for
warning
>> signs under all that
>> trash. A newcomer may not know and find out too
late
>> that Southern blight
>> has attacked and decimated his precious hostas
while
>> they were covered up.
>> Let's see now: I have never seen reports of
Southern
>> blight attacking native
>> hostas in Japan. QED!
>>
>> My nickel's worth with apologies to those who
have
>> been able to make their
>> garden a "natural" habitat. George
>>
>> W. George Schmid