Re: Why Can't You Believe It?

>It was I am sure an honest mistake; however, it was probably a felony. Cindy
>is a great friend of mine. I wrote up her garden for the Convention Issue of
>the Hosta Journal. I would trust her with my life.Yet, ignorance of the
>law is no excuse. At any rate, the blame lies not with Cindy but rather
>with the
>American Hosta Society. They must take the heat on this one. If not,
>then they will be able to get away with any felony.
>They MUST make retribution to Gary. There is no way around that.

>Cindy is not personally liable, I want to make that clear.

>Clyde Crockett

With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

Dear Gary Trucks: What would you do if someone sent you a check made out
to GEORGE Trucks for a magazine you had advertised?  And they had written
in the lower left corner of the check "for 1998 subscr." or "for 1998
dues"?  And it came in an envelope addressed to GARY Trucks?  And it was
for the CORRECT amount of your subscription price?

In fifty years of experience as an officer of various clubs, I'm glad
I've neglected to save a written record of every time members (and
non-members) have made errors on checks, envelopes, letterheads, etc.,
etc.  If Cindy wrote a letter sending back every check that contained a
typographical error, her boss would UNDOUBTEDLY have a heart to heart
talk with her, and if she persisted I can't imagine she wouldn't get
fired for wasting AHS salary money.  Cindy undoubtedly considered just
putting the check through to their bank without crossing out anything.
Ninety-nine out of a hundred banks today would have cashed your check,
and credited it to the American Hosta Society's account.  No human being
reads the "Pay to the order of" line on any check these days.

It is not too late for you to write a nice little apology to Cindy,
on HOSTA-OPEN.  Don't worry about a special copy to Cindy or to the
American Hosta Society.  Just apologize for using Ken Starr's tactics
against an innocent AHS employee, who was only doing her job, and who had
to make a judgment as to whether or not you'd absent-mindedly written
"Hemerocallis" instead of "Hosta".  You got the NAME and the address on the
envelope right, and the amount was right.

This is why the American public is largely enraged with those who've been
hounding Bill Clinton about something that was NOT a crime against his
country.  I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you'd have done, had you been in
her position, EXACTLY what Cindy did.  Clinton's lie, which most of us
would have emulated had we been in his shoes, was, in my opinion, no
worse than Cindy's "felony".

Instead of slandering Cindy and the American Hosta Society before the
entire world on this list, why didn't you just write her an Email, tell
her what happened, and ask for a refund?  What happened to your
sense of charity or proportion?

Apologies are good for the spirit and character.  Ken Starr has the
meanest of both.  Here's your chance to demonstrate some good will.   It
won't hurt you to apologize.  Go for it!

All the best,

Harry

All this talk of a "felony"!  Only in our partisan Congress would the
case of Gary Trucks vs. Cindy Nance not be laughed out of court!