Re: Breeder Hostas

In a message dated 10/13/98 12:48:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bobaxe@sbtek.net writes:

<< I was looking in the Hosta Finder for Beatrice and noticed there is
 Beatrice and Beatrice Breeder. Would someone explain the difference
 please? Also aren't hostas such as Christmas Tree Gala, Breeder's
 Choice, Pin Stripe Sister, Galaxy, etc. good to use  >>

hey all....

a number of thoughts.....

first beatrice is unstable...hence the term 'beatrice breeder' is
redundant....and most likely improper....

also the stabilized form, which would improperly be called 'beatrice
variegated' [under the current nomenclature rules].....should not be sold as

so my best guess [and we can check with steve greene] is that some catalog
just used a name a bit different than other catalogs....and the hosta finder
just listed both.....in other words they are the same hosta.....

now for your second question about the others.....it was my impression that
beatrice was a half to a quarter of the price of the others you list.....wades
pricing is not a good place to comparison shop....so the issue of whether it
is as good as the rest, comes down to how much you want to spend....if your
budget is 20 bucks...get a beatrice.....because you are never going to get the
others for that price....

now....are you looking for a big blue sieboldiana for breeding....look at
dorothy benedict.....i think [ i will be corrected] that db was a breakthrough
in this regard.....

now if you dont have 3000 bucks for a db.....buy a beatrice and cross the heck
out of it with elegans...till you have that big, blue breeding stock you
want....it is very interesting to trace the historical record of these
breeders....today there may be a slew of big blue breeders....but back when
herb found db....well, it was a breakthrough.....i am guessing, so if anyone
has any further info...please let us know....

btw....if you are looking for cheap breeders to start with...just to fool
around with....try swoosh[10 bucks] & bravo[25 bucks]....now swoosh doesnt
have much substance, but it does throw a lot of streakers.....and bravo does
the same, but tends to give smaller plants....

finally....can anyone tell me why we use the phrase "throwing".....as used

later hosta nuts...ken

ps:  does anyone else think we are all suffering from 'seasonal affective