Re:Wednesday Blues

Dear FHF:
         It is raining cats, dogs , and slugs here in southern  Vermont.
The clouds are low and the threat  has turned to a very wet reality. 75% of
the leaves are down from 4 giant maples and sadly the wind is from the
south which keeps them all in my yard. I have always thought it was
important to share the trees with neighbors, especially the leaves. Most of
my perennials  are cut and stacked like wood. The hostas are under the
shroud of wet leaves now  and  look like small mound dwellings for
trolls.An occasional flower scape sticks through the leaf cover  and ends
up looking like an arrow penetrating the mound. I seem to have a large vole
population this year which frightens me a bit.One 15x4' stretch of lawn  is
impossible to walk on with out twisting an ankle or worse. It is catacombed
with small tunnels. I suppose I should be happy that the grass is being
aerated.I have invited the neighborhood cats over to get the voles but they
prefer to torment  my Sheltie who thinks they are small sheep and need to
be herded-  with imaginable results.
     Beyond sorting a little dried seed today there does not seem to  be
much hosta work to do. Having talked to two hosta friends yesterday and
today by phone  I am cheered. Bags of leaves await pick-up by the town  but
will remain untouched since the bags are not clear. Good weather for the
collection of hosta journals next to my desk.More dreaming. Thank heavens
the new catalogues have not started to arrive yet

Glen Williams Zone 5a   Springield , Vermont.