Re: Re: Foliar Nematode Research for Resistant Cultivars

  • To: "Hosta" <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Foliar Nematode Research for Resistant Cultivars
  • From: "Daniel Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:57:45 -0400

It sound like the researchers are looking for a NEW control for foliar
nematodes in the form of plant "teas". I am sure Robert Rodale is proud.

There are already nematacides on the market that control foliar
nematodes. What we need are specific ways these nematacides can be used
on our hostas to rid our hostas of foliar nematodes.

The focus on plant based "Teas" that can be used by home gardeners
without a pesticide license, is in my opinion, a limitation that almost
guarantees the failure of this research project. We are the AHS, not
Organic Gardening Magazine.

Homeowners can not for instance:

1) Treat their houses for termites.
2) Recharge their automobile air conditioners.
3) Do their own dental work.
4) Take their own X-rays.
5) Write their own prescriptions.
6) Use restricted use pesticides which are in everyday use by

Limiting research to homeowner applied chemicals or natural occurring
chemicals that can be applied by a homeowner are serious and misguided

Have the researchers tried:

1) Multiple applications of commercial nematicides.
2) Moving infected hostas into containers for multiple applications.
3) Alternating commercial nematicides in multiple applications.
4) Bare root dipping of hostas in commercial nematicides, dormant
5) Bare root dipping of hostas in commercial nematicides during the
growing    season with all foliage removed.

The fact that the researchers are already researching plant "teas" for
other uses suggest to me a bias towards the use of plant "teas" for the
control of foliar nematodes in hostas.

The time and money spent by the researchers looking for resistant
varieties and trying new plant "teas" to see if they have nematicidal
activity is time not spent on the real issue.

The real issue is how do we control or rid our hostas of foliar

The fact that nematicides already known to be toxic to foliar nematodes
are not being explored to their fullest by researchers that have a bias
towards plant "teas" is, in my opinion, a guarantee that we don't get
the most research for our money. Likewise, the search for resistant
cultivars is also misdirected at this stage in our quest for knowledge
in the control or preferably the elimination of foliar nematodes from

I believe the researchers at Ohio State are fully qualified and I am not
questioning their ethics.

What I am questioning though, is the focus of the AHS $25,000. research
project. I simply do not agree with C.H. Falstad as to the direction
this money is being spent. I think it is being divided in too many ways.

I also don't believe for a minute, that research for resistant cultivars
is being thrown in for free by the researchers.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7