Re: White Hostas

Gerry/Bob O'Neill wrote:

> Tom et al.,
> It makes me wonder why these hostas make it into the trade..All I can
> figure is that a) they do much better in the north or b)people buy them as
> oddities.

I hear the same complaint about Fortunei Albopicta and ventricosa Aureomaculata
because they turn green in the summer.  But in the spring, they are two of the
most beautiful hostas I grow.  Wouldn't be without them, but seldom recommend
them to others.

White Christmas is in the same boat.  It has to turn green or it won't survive,
and because it needs a lot of light, it might be harder to grow where the heat is
extreme. As far as being green half the year, we grow perennials that only bloom
for three or four weeks.  Appreciate the time when it's spectacular.

On the other hand, if it doesn't do well in the south, you might as well use the
space for something else cause it ain't gonna get any better.  Mobjack, in
southern Virginia grows spectacular plants of White Christmas, giving them lots
of light and lots of water, but I've never seen them in late summer.