Re: BAP-10

Hello Chuck, I was hoping that someone who uses the product would answer
your question on how it works, but since I didn't see an answer I will
give you a tiny bit of information. I hope the "real" scientists here
won't be too hard on me if this explanation is not totally accurate, but
I would like to be corrected on it, because I'm curious myself. I don't
know much BAP-10, because I have never used the product. BAP stands for
Benzylaminopurine, a plant hormone in the cytokinin group. It is used in
TC labs to increase (promotes elongation of shoots) plants in TC,
including hostas. The "10" part of the name stands for the dilution (I
think) the product comes in. It is used by spraying a bit of it (don't
know how much etc) on the foliage of a hosta, and this is supposed to
cause the plant to put up a number of new shoots. In other words, the
benzylaminopurine in the product overcomes the apical dominance in the
plant and this allows some of the axillary buds to begin to grow
(elongate). I assume you know that in hostas, there is a bud at the axil
(where the petiole joins the rhizome) of every leaf.  The same thing
happens in the spring, after a period of dormancy. Temperatures below
40 F for around 2 months destroy another plant hormone called absicic
acid in the apical crown (eg the one that grew the previous summer), and
this allows a number of the axillary buds to grow, thus you get a plant
in the spring with a few more "crowns" (shoots) than you had the
previous spring. The number is limited by the fact that as the new
shoots develop, apical dominance again begins to increase, due to the
build-up of absicic acid in the elongating buds, and this inhibits
elongation (growth) of more axillary buds. If this were not the case,
hostas would be quite invasive plants, and I suppose they wouldn't be so
popular then. I hope this helps you. I have a personal hosta collection
of around 450 different cultivars. Keeping up with the garden work on
them plus a few hundred daylilies leaves me with no extra time, all of
which I spend in the TC lab where I have some 40 different hosta
cultivars in culture at the present time. I'm supposed to be retired!
Ain't life great!  JML
               MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
                         John and Laura Lanier
                           Route 9  Box 908
                        Burnsville, NC  28714