Re: DNA content of ventricosa seedlings

Ben:

>I just checked the amount of DNA of 8 seedlings of a "cross' between
>ventricosa x Minuteman (pollen parent) All had the DNA content of
>ventricosa showing that they are not hybrids.

Here we go with more BAD science!  You make a definitive statement
that these seedlings are not hybrids based on their DNA content, but
yet you give us no data to see if your conclusion is correct.  What is
the DNA content of ventricosa and Minuteman?  I am assuming you are
considering ventricosa to be a tetraploid.  In one of your earlier
posts didn't you say Minuteman was also a tertaploid.  A tetraploid x
a tetraploid should give a tetraploid, which will show up as the same
DNA concentration as ventricosa.  The fact that these seedlings have
the same DNA concentration as ventricosa, which I am assuming is twice
the concentration of Minuteman if Minuteman is a diploid, then that
would certainly be evidence to support your conclusion, but by itself
is not enough evidence to make the conclusion you do.  You need to do
some gel electrophoresis comparing ventricosa with the hybrids, and/or
self the seedlings and see if they segregate into non ventricosa
types.

> This way I dont have to wait for them to grow up.

Have you ever considered LOOKING at the seedlings to see if they look
like hybrids?  I would think you should be able to tell the difference
between a hybrid and ventricosa without too much difficulty at a
fairly early stage, maybe even the first cotyledon stage!  Especially
if you used ventricosa as the pollen parent!  Do you know who Edgar
Anderson was?

>I think  it is really is stupid that some plants are not made
>available for research and that my letters for cooperation to J
>Wilkins are not even answered.

There is a reason for that - you are a whiner.  By the way, you aren't
related to President Clinton, are you?  And you do BAD science and you
don't present any evidence to support any of your views - we are still
waiting for your evidence that monocot cotyledons don't
photosynthesize.  Learn how to do proper research, present your
evidence and give CREDIT to those who helped you and you may get some
better cooperation.

Joe Halinar