In regards to weeds, I have had good success spraying Roundup over hosta
before the leaves expand in the Spring.  This kills existing weeds.  For a
preemerge weed control program I use a mixture of Gallery and Surflan (both
Dow products).  I put these in the same tank mix as Roundup but they can be
applied separately.  It is important that Gallery and Surflan  is applied
before anymore weeds germinate.

Jeff Westendorp
Holland, MI