e-mail tax

I received this from a friend and thought that it might be of interest to
read and quit possibly act upon!!  If this were something that I was doing
as a US citizen, I am sure it would be illegal.  I am wondering if the US
Government and Postal Service has heard of "RIGHT SIZING"??     Robin

<- Original Text ->

< VOTE NO ON Bill 602P!!!!

> >I guess the warnings were true. Federal Bill 602P 5-cents per
> >E-mail Sent.
> >
> >It figures! No more free E-mail! We knew this was coming!! Bill
> >602P will permit the Federal Government to charge a 5-cent charge
> >on every delivered E-mail.
> >
> >Please read the following carefully if you intend to stay online,
> >and continue using E-mail. The last few months have revealed an
> >alarming trend in the Government of the United States attempting
> >to quietly push through legislation that will affect our use of
> >the Internet.
> >
> >Under proposed legislation, the US Postal Service will be
> >attempting to bill E-mail users out of "alternative postage
> >fees". Bill 602P will permit the Federal Government to charge
> >a 5-cent surcharge on every E-Mail delivered, by billing Internet
> >Service Providers at source. The consumer would then be billed
> >in turn by the ISP.
> >
> >Washington DC lawyer Richard Stepp is working without pay to
> >prevent this legislation from becoming law. The US Postal
> >Service is claiming lost revenue, due to the proliferation
> >of E-mail, is costing nearly $230,000,000 in revenue per year.
> >You may have noticed their recent ad campaign: "There is nothing
> >like a letter."
> >
> >Since the average person received about 10 pieces of E-mail per
> >day in 1998, the cost of the typical individual would be an
> >additional 50 cents a day - or over $180 per year - above and
> >beyond their regular Internet costs.
> >
> >Note that this would be money paid directly to the US Postal
> >Service for a service they do not even provide. The whole point
> >of the Internet is democracy and noninterference. You are already
> >paying an exorbitant price for snail mail because of bureaucratic
> >efficiency. It currently takes up to 6 days for a letter to be
> >delivered from coast to coast.
> >
> >If the US Postal Service is allowed to tinker with E-mail, it will
> >mark the end of the free" Internet in the United States. Our
> >congressional representative, Tony Schnell (R) has even suggested a > > >
>"$20-$40 per month surcharge on all Internet service" above and > > > >
>beyond the governments proposed E-mail charges
> >
> >Note that most of the major newspapers have ignored the
> >story -the only exception being the Washingtonian - which called
> >the idea of E-mail surcharge "a useful concept who's time has come"
> >March 6th, 1999 Editorial).
> >
> >Do not sit by and watch your freedom erode away! Send this to
> >E-mail to EVERYONE on your list, and tell all your friends and
> >relatives write their congressional representative and say "NO"
> >to Bill 602P. It will only take a few moments of your time and
> >could very well be instrumental in killing a bill we do not want.
> >
> >Please forward!

Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois