[Fwd: Nasty mushrooms]

To my friends on the hosta-open.  I received this letter from a relative.  Does anyone know of this problem?  I don't have any of this where I live.  She lives in Michigan z5. Mid state.  Any comments or answers would be appreciated. I can then foreward them to her. Thanks, CHAR

I am getting these awful mushrooms in my flower beds.  They are not your typical small mushrooms but they have foamy looking bases and some are tan colored stalks with black tops and others are pink colored bases and no real tops.  They have this sickning sweet odor.  They have come up through the mulch but are in spots.

Any ideas.  I have never had them before - this is the first year.  One flowerbed is in the shade and one is in full sun.

Marlene - The shade bed is the oval one by the road and full sun bed is the long bed on the side of the front yard.

All I know is that i hate working in the beds because of the smell.

Let me know what you think  I should do and what might be causing it.  I may call the Extension lady on tuesday but thought I would go to my expert aunts first.

Love,

Valerie