Re: Repetition vs. Specimen plantings

Andrew Lietzow wrote:

> Dan and Mary bring up some very interesting challenges to the landscape
> design artist.  How to design
> so that the results appeal to a WIDE group of observers.

Excuse me folks, I'm on a roll here.  No offense to the mass planters or
landscape design artists, but I've been watching what hostas people buy for
twenty years and the only people who are interested in mass planting and
appealing to a WIDE group of observers are landscapers.

Remember the "New American Garden"?  It was a movement a few years ago to
convince people that they wanted yards full of masses of ornamental grasses,
sedums, rudbeckias, etc, etc.  Landscapers loved it, and for a few years there
were books about it and everyone was into grasses and "winter interest" and
such.  Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, people who actually like to garden
and enjoy plants think it's boring.  How many of you actually have a "New
American Garden"?

There are lots of great landscape plants.  The main interest in hostas, at least
among people who grow them as a hobby, is in their variety. And if we don't keep
the new varieties coming, you guys are going to lose interest.  Thats why
there's no Juniper society.  Or if there is, all the members are landscapers.

Chick