Re: Hosta Ramblings---and milking the AHS membership

Joe and all,  I concur, especially with the introductions that are not worth
registering.  I have several in my garden that are NEWER introductions that
will be moved from the main garden to a lesser area in the garden to see if
they perform any better.  If they don't they will be on their way out.  This
year I have been asked by a number of other hostas gardeners what my
particular hosta looks like and I say it looks really bad!  Then they ask if
it looked better last year.  The answer is no.  I will be happy to tell
anyone the names of two or three of those hostas if they want to email me
privately.  I do not want to offend anyone on the robin.  I am certainly
disappointed in some of the plants that are being registered and sold to
soon.  They do not perform in the garden.  I don't know what they looked
like in the originators garden.

As far as the vanity thing and naming hostas, I think that is OK if the
hosta is worthy to be registered, (not just so you can use a particular

The Midwest Regional Hosta Society is putting together three classic hostas
gardens.  The three locations are, Peoria, Omaha N., and Minneapolis area.
These gardens are being put together to demonstrate to anyone  interested in
hostas about the older hostas that are registered, easily found,
affordable, and can usually be grown well by all.

I will really be more selective in purchasing hostas in the future.  I am
tired of pampering a plant to get it to grow!

Beth Arnold
Peoria Illinois  Zone 5