Re: Ornamental Grasses

In a message dated 09/09/2000 8:27:16 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
rogers4@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< I have heard that one should not plant ornamental grasses after August 1
 (zone 5). >>

Hi Floyd
If you are referring to divisions of plants I would have to say don't do it,
they will just pop right out of the ground. If it is a field grown plant, no
problem. I dig them right up untill the ground freezes. The problem with
small container plants is the fact that grasses grow very fast and fill out
most pots quick, there is no real soil protecting the roots and it is very
dificult to get the mix off. So when winter time comes the mix offers no
buffer and is a direct conduit for the temps to cause center die out in the
first season. If it is a container plant try to do the best you can to get as
much of the soiless mix off so the roots can make good contact with the dirt.