Re: Hiroshima

  • Subject: Re: Hiroshima
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:25:29 -0400

Hi Everybody,
        I've been reading up on things and just wanted to tell you that the Taliban is a fanatic group that was one of several that fought it out for control of Afghanistan after the Russians pulled out. The Russians support a group known as the Northern Alliance. The Taliban now controls the capital, Kabul, and the southern two-thirds of the country, and calls itself the new legitimate government of Afghanistan. They have probably killed the remaining people from the old government.Bin Laden is hiding out in the southernmost part of the country, and is a protected guest of the Taliban, along with many other terrorists. These terrorists helped the Taliban sieze power there, and the Taliban may need them to keep their hold on the country.The Northern Alliance has asked us for help in overthrowing the Taliban and promised to give us Bin Laden if we do. The problem with that is that they are far away in the north and outnumbered three-to-one. The Northern Alliance leader was assasinated by the Taliban just days before the terrorists struck here. They attacked the Taliban that same night. Most of the ordinary people have no love for the Taliban and less for the international terrorists they welcome.
         I support an attack on the terrorists, and on the Taliban if they choose to side with them. I do not support an indiscriminate attack in which large numbers of innocent civilians would be killed. If we did that how exactly would we be any different from the terrorists? Who did it first isn't enough. We are clearly in the right to go after the terrorists and those who aid and protect them. Because of this the world agrees that these animals must be stamped out. Let's stay on the side of Right. Let's make it a clear case of Good vs. Evil.
        In wartime our freedoms are restricted, and should be. Remember the old WWII saying "Loose Lips Sink Ships"? They cannot be allowed to hamper the war effort, or cause further casualties to our armed forces. Their right to survive outweighs our right to say whatever we feel like saying. The first sign of this came when the NSA called CNN to tell them to stop talking about the president's whereabouts when there was still a threat.
       There is a story going around now, and I don't know if it is true, that the film of the Palestinians celebrating after the attack on the WTC was a hoax. Specifically that it was stock footage from 1991 of them celebrating something else that someone "mistakenly" used. Word was that somebody thought it looked familiar and started checking on where it came from. Arafat's reaction seems to show that the Palestinians are clearly saying they are not supporting those people.
                                                                                                        ............Bill Meyer

Problem with the write up below is that Afghanistan refuses to turn over Bin Laden and others of the Taliban responsible for the attacks. The terrorist acts committed against the United States on 9/11 exceed the magnitude of the Pearl Harbor bombing by the Japanese. For that war time act, we dropped the atomic bomb on the Japanese island of Hiroshima.
Many will no doubt die in the ensuing war, but what thought process would make the Afghan leaders believe that they, harboring the Taliban and Bin Laden, will not suffer similar retaliation from the US Armed Forces and other countries horrified by the possibility that they might some day see a similar attack upon themselves? France nearly suffered an attack on Paris just 3 short years ago.
Note how quickly the Palestinian government was to renounce the attacks on the US. Although the Palestinian Nation may loathe the US, they know what is ahead for those responsible.
Lori Johnson