Yet another Virus warning

  • Subject: Yet another Virus warning
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:15:41 -0400

This appeared on ZDNetNews this morning. I checked it out at the Norton
site and it is real. They added protection this morning, so if you use
Norton, update again..

Gerry

**************
"Vote virus" poses as plea for peace

 By Robert Lemos
ZDNet News
September 24, 2001 3:00 PM PT

Security experts on Monday warned of a new file-deleting virus masquerading
as a program that allows people to vote on whether the United States should
go to war.
The "Vote Virus" is spreading via e-mail to users of Microsoft's Outlook
e-mail program, said Simon Perry, vice president of security solutions at
Computer Associates International.

The virus appears with the subject line: "Peace between America and Islam!"
and the body of the e-mail reads: "Hi. Is it a war against America or
Islam!? Let's vote to live in peace!" Perry said.

When the attachment entitled "WTC.exe" is opened, the virus deletes all the
files on the computer's hard drive and sends copies of the original e-mail
message to every address listed in the computer's address book, he said.

The virus also defaces any Web pages that are hosted by an infected computer
to read: "America...few days will show you what we can do!!! It's our turn
Zaker is so sorry for you."

The virus is believed to be the work of an opportunist and not associated
with the Sept. 11 jetliner attacks on the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon that left more than 6,000 people dead or missing.

"There is no evidence that this is related to the people who carried out"
the attacks, Perry said.

"We feel this is likely to get quite a high pickup in that a lot of people
are going to click on this," he said. "If the news about this doesn't get
out before people get their e-mails, they're at risk."

Perry said he expects there will be more socially engineered viruses created
in the future that will take advantage of people's interest in the attacks
and the subsequent political and military repercussions.

"What this is, is a sick sense of humor," Perry said. "Chances are this is
not any kind of cyberterrorism. It's just cyberterror."

As many as 10 large corporate customers of Computer Associates have been
infected since the virus first appeared Monday morning, Perry said.
Researchers do not know where it originated, but it has not yet hit Europe
and Asia, he said.